Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Black Forest Memories...



If there was to be a cake that reminds me of my mother, it would have to be Black Forest Cake. I remember when i was very young, my mother would get my brother and I Black Forest cake from Safeway with the dark chocolate cake, filled with Bavarian cream, topped with chocolate shavings and candy-syrup red cherries. I guess because it's nostalgic for me, I can't have Black Forest cake any other way because I always end up saying - "Something just ain't right...". So I attempted to make this into a cupcake - with a few tweaks. I however didn't use fresh cream, which i found out was a big mistake as vanilla frosting is just way too heavy with the bavarian cream filling (even though it was whipped). Next time however to make it a bit more of my own, I think I will grind up the cherries right into the chocolate cake for more of a cherry flavor. Overall, I still think cherry+chocolate+bavarian cream=pretty awesome! This is one cupcake I vow to perfect.

Also, shoutout Ben's peeps at Sutton Real Estate head office who has this batch in their tummy!

2 comments:

  1. The topping was definitely too sweet. I think a non-sweetened cream on top would be good.

    Can you make one with some salt on it? Not sure how to make this work, but I had some chips before and the mixture was so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (This is Sara from craigslist.) Your cupcakes look delicious!

    The shirt is yours, absolutely. I can hold it for you indefinitely. So the next time you're in downtown, just give me a ring.

    In the baking spirit,

    Sara

    ReplyDelete