Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sugar Rose Petals & Rose Water Cupcakes



Last night I had a hell of a time sleeping so i read the entire "Cupcakes" by Susan McMahon. Only took me 20 minutes or so to go through the 160 some-odd pages as the recipes were all quite similar from one to the next, and more of a visual guide than anything else. The only real new thing that popped out at me were sugar rose petals. The recipes in this book was quite simple and because I was surfing online at specialty cupcakes, I thought it was a very interesting flavor and wondered how it was done. Well here is the recipe for 12 sugar rose petal cupcakes, super easy:

You need:
12 rose petals (make sure they are eatable, ask the florist)
1 egg white, lightly beaten
4-6 Tbsp sugar

Instructions: To crystallize the rose petals, brush them with egg white, lightly sprinkle with sugar evenly and place them on baking parchment paper and let dry.

Note: Do not eat if you are pregnant or sensitive to raw eggs, as this recipe calls for raw eggs... Not sure if I want to eat them myself but they do look very nice... I think I do have to try just one.

As for the cupcakes, just create a standard cupcake recipe - replace the vanilla with rose water.

I'd give you the recipe in this book, but everything is in grams and ounces (This book, I realized is produced in England which means their system of measuring isn't like ours in North America). I will convert and do a post on measurements another day soon, but I wanted to add that when buying books from England, Canadians pay the same price as Americans cause the price is converted from British pounds. Cool, didn't know that. This book only cost me $12.95 + tax. Fair deal I think and looks nice in the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment